So you want to buy a scuba diving mask. There are literally hundreds of masks on the market so how do you find the best one for your needs and budget? In this post, we will talk about 10 different types of masks, their features, pros and cons as well as give an honest review of our favorites. We hope that after reading this article you’ll have all the information you need to make a decision that is best for YOU!
We have tested 20 scuba diving masks and found ATOMIC AQUATICS FRAMELESS 2 to be the best for scuba diving enthusiast
This mask has an ergonomic, frameless design that wraps around the entire head. The wide lens provides better visibility and less water friction for a more comfortable breathing experience. It is also fitted with side-mounted tempered glass lenses which provide protection against the external glare as well as scratches on the surface of the glass itself.
The 2nd choice in our lists would be OCEANIC SHADOW DIVING MASK. This mask is a very good option for divers who also want to see the underwater world in its true colors. It is fitted with “tempered” glass lenses which provide protection against the external glare as well as scratches on the surface of the glasses itself
If you’d like to know what is the top 10 best scuba diving masks, keep reading below.
Our Best Scuba Diving Masks
- ATOMIC AQUATICS FRAMELESS 2
- OCEANIC SHADOW DIVING MASK
- APEKS VX1 DIVING MASK
- HOLLIS M1 DIVING MASK
- CRESSI CALIBRO MIRRORED DIVING MASK
- AQUA LUNG REVEAL X1 DIVING MASK
- XDEEP FRAMELESS DIVING MASK
- XS SCUBA GAUGE READER DIVING MASK
- GULL Vader Diving Masks
- Scubapro Spectra Low Volume 2 Window Dive Mask
10 Best Scuba Diving Masks Reviewed
After extensive research on Frameless masks, we found one that is perfect for our needs. One our favourites had a compact lightweight design and others have an ultra clear glass with no colour distortion.
It is not as bulky due to the ultra-soft silicone and flat frame, the mask strap can flex more than a jointed buckle. It has less volume, but because of that it is closer to your face and gives you more of an image of what you see in front of you.
- Protect your eyes from dust and debris.
- Stay comfortable for hours on end.
- Prevent the sun’s harmful UV rays from reaching your eyes.
- Wear these lenses with confidence because you know they’re safe.
- Get foggy easily
Oceanic’s Shadow Mask is a frameless, single-lens diving mask that has a huge field of vision. It also comes with an adjustable neoprene strap already fitted.
The Shadow Mask lives up to its name by incorporating a sleek, black 100% silicone skirt attached directly to the tempered glass. This low-volume skirt works in conjunction with swiveling, adjustable buckles that provide ultra-comfortable adjustments and fit. It has no plastic mask frame which means it packs flat and takes up very little space during travel or
There are clear benefits to the Ice mask! In addition to looking super stylish and different from any other mask on the market, the liquid silicone finish helps provide more light into the diver’s eyes, which can make them feel more “open”!
The mini skirt for the Mini Shadow and Mini Shadow Ice is designed for a smaller face. Unlike other masks that carry around frames, this mask also offers more clearance, making it easier to clear when diving. The new tempered glass in these masks also provides a greater field of downward vision–necessary during no-goggles dive sites
- Has a large field of vision.
- You can fold the mask up and put it in your pocket.
- Stylish, sleek, and cool.
- It’s easy to adjust because there’s no plastic frame
- Can’t fit well if you have big face
The Apeks VX-1 Mask is frameless with a wide field of vision due to the location of the lens closer to the eyes.
Finding the right scuba diving mask is important for anyone who dives. One option to consider is the VX1, which comes with an easy-to-clear low volume and small features that make it more comfortable for long periods of time. It also has UV lenses available as an upgrade option that will protect your eyes from sunlight while you dive.
- The mask is lightweight and easy to clear.
- It has a low volume design.
- Clear vision underwater – no need for corrective lenses.
- Protect your eyes from the sun with UV Cut lens options.
- Not a good fit for all face size
The Hollis M1 Mask provides all of the features that you need in a diving mask, including low-profile design, super soft silicone skirt for comfort and clear vision, and optical grade glass.
Saint-Gobian Diamant Crystal Clear Glass that has a significantly lower iron content than standard glass. This reduction in iron removes the green tint that is often apparent in cheaper glass and allows more light to filter through the glass without being reflected back out by the impurities. Colour distortion is also reduced, giving true colour representation.
- Low profile design
- Soft silicone skirt
- Frameless construction
- Great visibility underwater.
- not for people with larger noses.
The Cressi Calibro Mirrored Mask is a clever low volume mask with a unique anti-fog skirt that isolates your nose creating a seal around the nose that helps reduce the chance of fogging lenses. The low internal volume makes the Calibro perfect for both freedivers and scuba divers as you don’t have to equalise as much when you descend or clear as much if flooded.
Mirrored lenses protect your eyes from glare and the sun, especially when you’re on the surface by reflecting certain wavelengths of light that can be harmful to your eyes.
- Clear lenses for better visibility.
- Low volume for less equalization and clearing.
- Look like a pro underwater with mirrored lenses.
- Protect your eyes from harmful light waves when on the surface
- Not framless thus vision is limited
The AquaLung Reveal X1 Mask has many features to make it the most comfortable mask on the market. It is constructed of soft, crystal-clear silicone, and includes adjustable buckles which attach directly to its skirt for greater flexibility. To top it off, the straps are spherical—both in shape and flavor!
In addition to traditional competitive pricing, AquaLung’s Reveal mask has been designed with comfort in mind and will fit anyone no matter their face shape.
The new Reveal mask from Scuba Choice is adjustable to any face shape and has a textured nose pocket for greater balance.
- Comfort is key with the Reveal’s super soft silicone.
- The buckles attach to the skirt for a better fit and have quick single button adjustments.
- You’ll be able to breathe easier with AquaLung’s UASS design that seals around your face shape.
- Vision might be limited to certain extend
Large single-lens masks with soft silicone skirts and traditional straps are often seen as more comfortable than double- or frameless designs. This is because a larger nose pocket in these masks helps equalize pressure easier, even when wearing gloves.
With a low-profile tempered glass lens and silicone skirt foundation, the Frameless is designed for any scuba diver or snorkeller.
This mask is one of the better options with an “eagle beak” design that moves the lens closer to your eyes, giving you a larger field of vision without tunneling.
- Frameless is a high quality product
- It’s easy to clear and equalize.
- The field of vision is large so you can see more underwater.
- The Frameless is the best mask for any scuba diver or snorkeller.
- It has a smaller lens and larger nose pocket than other masks, so it should fit most divers.
- Abit pricey for its range
The XS Scuba Gauge Reader Mask has a built in prescriptive lens in the lower corners so you can read your gauges and computer easier without having to fit expensive prescriptive lenses. +1.75 lenses in the lower corners sit at an angle for downward vision and compliment the standard main lenses for divers who are long-sighted
- You can read your gauges and computer easier.
- It’s perfect for long-sighted divers.
- Save money on prescription lenses.
- No need to wear glasses while diving.
- It takes some efforts to purge mask
Vader masks, with their curves that ensure a better fit for the face, offer an appealing choice to skin and scuba divers.
With its ergonomic design, the manta’s coarse lip and supple skirt are made to relieve pressure for a more comfortable fit.
We recommend the UV420 CUT lens as a great way to protect yourself from high-energy visible light (HEV) that damages your retinas.
- Blocks harmful UV light.
- Comfortable and high quality mask.
- Protect your eyes from erythema.
- Reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- See colors more vividly than ever before.
- Buddy can’t see through your eyes
The Spectra mask by Speedo offers a wide field of vision and blocks water from the surface. The Spectra mask is designed to fit many face shapes. It’s made of a double-sealed Silicone skirt for optimum comfort.
With a buckle and strap system that is easy to use, the Spectra mask has many more conveniences than other masks. Push-button buckles that attach to the skirt adjust easily, optimize strap angle and range of motion for achieving that perfect fit, and enable the mask to be folded flat for easy packing. Select masks come with both clear and black skirts, as well as an exclusive paint process that creates stylish eyewear in addition to a comfortable dive mask.
- The dual-lens design is both low volume for easy clearing and offers the highest field of view.
- Lenses are made of tough tempered glass for long-term durability and safety.
- A push-button clasp that attaches to the skirt adjusts easily so your mask fits perfectly.
- Mirrored lenses reduce glare for vibrant underwater viewing.
- Better fits for small to medium sized faces.
After reading this article, you’ll be able to make a decision that is best for YOU! There are so many different types of masks on the market and it can be hard to find one that fits your needs. We hope we’ve helped break down some of the most popular mask types and given you an honest review of our favorites. Do you have any questions about which type would work best for your specific situation? Let us know in the comments below or send us a message via contact form.